Home Forums Development discussions Future development

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Akira_San
    Participant

Ok, will try it.

Sponk
    Keymaster

A new binary version is online. You can now test some new 2D rendering features that I have still to document πŸ˜€

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Sponk.
    Akira_San
    Participant

Downloaded it! When you say “2D rendering features” you mean for 2D games? But still when pressing the menu with the profiler, nothing pops up?
    How do you compile with MingW, cos i keep getting the raknet error?

Sponk
    Keymaster

Yes, I mean for 2D games. There currently is support for basic sprites and sprite sheet based animations.

What do you mean, “nothing pops up”?

You just need to run CMake and tell it to use MinGW. You could also use the QtCreator to do that.

Akira_San
    Participant

How far are you going to go with the 2D? You going to add box2d or 2d particles? See the images -> http://ethanonengine.com/media/ By using color, normal and spec some nice look can be achieved. Ive worked ona an old 2d prerendered game, it was called TK-RemiX. You could use its graphics, that are free and plenty. πŸ™‚ Only you gonna have to combine them together to make a single file. TK-RemiX data file Some images from it:

Here for some characters animated. ->
    http://s92.photobucket.com/user/AKIRA_SAN2/library/?sort=3&page=5
    Lol i thunk i just made some commercial!

What do you mean, β€œnothing pops up”?

When you click on the menu, i dont see any windows to show up.

You just need to run CMake and tell it to use MinGW. You could also use the QtCreator to do that.

I use the cmake gui and made a code::blocks, in the qtcreator what argument should i add to make it use the mingw. By default its using vs10, thats it when open the cmake.txt file to build. Hope thats clear.

Sponk
    Keymaster

Thank you for those graphics!

By the way: I fixed the profiler on Windows. And Neo should build on Windows with VS again.

Akira_San
    Participant

I see, that the latest dev logs have multithreading, you gonna thread the raster too?

Sponk
    Keymaster

First of all: Happy new year to everybody!

Yes, there is better support for multithreading now. It is not used everywhere yet and produces some problems with modules that are not yet ready. First we need much better multithreading support in Neo::Level for asset loading.

The renderer will not be able to become multithreaded since OpenGL only works within one thread but it is possible to calculate skinning data for animations or physics in parallel.

The 2D renderer got a huge update containing a completely new Lua based API.
    You can find the documentation about the new code here: http://scary-squid.de/documentation/LuaDoc/

There are some first classes that focus on the 3D functionality Neo has. Nothing fancy yet but I think it’s a good start for the future.

Akira_San
    Participant

Happy new year!
    Thx, for the explanation. You are doing some big engine work.

sunnystormy
    Participant

Hello, Sponk!

Are you considering integrating UDP/TCIP networking functionality into the engine? I’d like to hear your thoughts on that if it’s been considered.

Also, what about data persistence?

Hope you’re doing well! πŸ™‚

-SS

Sponk
    Keymaster

Hey sunnystormy!

I already experimented with RakNet for UDP connections but decided that it was an ugly and buggy mess so I threw that out again. The current plan is to write basic UDP support from scratch without using another middleware.

Data persistence can be implemented in Lua or C++ without problems. I don’t want that in the engine since this is very game dependent and likely to be useless for most cases.

sunnystormy
    Participant

Hey, Sponk!

Have you considered ASIO (http://think-async.com)?

I’m considering implementing that into the game engine I’m currently developing.

Also, congratulations on your continued progress with the Neo Engine! Everything looks great. πŸ™‚

Cheers!

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by sunnystormy.
    Sponk
    Keymaster

Thank you πŸ™‚

There are still so many things to do, much more than I can do on my own. I hope to find some experienced programmers for a faster development cycle but I guess that’s far beyond reach.

Does your engine have a website? I would like to take a look at it πŸ™‚

sunnystormy
    Participant

Hi, Sponk!

No, it doesn’t! πŸ™

HOWEVER… I currently maintain a blog that documents my progress on the engine, as well as teaching people about Linux and open-source tools.

http://osgdp.wordpress.com – “The Open-Source Game Development Pipeline”

Essentially, the engine is just a simplified interface wrapped around Irrlicht, CAudio, and Bullet Physics. As I mentioned in my last reply, if I implement networking (which I’m still not sure about), I’m considering ASIO.

Cheers!

Sponk
    Keymaster

Your blog looks nice!
    Count me among your readers πŸ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.