Home Forums Development discussions Future development

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Sponk
    Keymaster

I will introduce a check button for it πŸ˜€

Akira_San
    Participant

Ok.
    Are you planning to make the Neo Editor into a full fledged game engine?

Sponk
    Keymaster

Neo already ships with a game engine by default. It is a heavily modified version of the Maratis 3D engine. Which features will land is only dependent on 1) How much time I will have in future and 2) How much contribution happens through a community.

I can’t promise anything for sure. The project is a just hobby for me right now and the community is very, _very_ small (currently just you :D).

Akira_San
    Participant

I see, i understand. πŸ™‚ Haha, just me! That was funny, but so true… I guess with version 0.4 being able to export to webgl could create some popularity, but will need some advertising, marketing. I have an idea how about using this asset 3rd person blender sci-fi pack Unity3d got Angrybots, using the “3rd-person-blender-sci-fi-pack” can create a similar game, you could take a look at them, they are really good. Can be used as a marketing strategy to gain some popularity and more users, more interested programmers, in Linux gaming maybe…

Sponk
    Keymaster

The asset pack looks very nice. I will see what I can build with it over the weekend :p

You’re right. We don’t have anything to show off. As soon as 0.4 is ready we’ll have a working web player which we can use to publish smaller demo games. I think that will help a lot to get attention.
    We could also try to get Neo in the ReactOS open source program for extra visibility (it runs perfectly well on ReactOS btw. :D).

http://community.reactos.org/index.php/support/programs/opensource-development-program *click*

That would mean that Neo is the only 3D content creation platform that fully supports ReactOS.
    But first we need more to work with. More demos, a smoother user experience and more well tested and documented features.

Btw: Do you think that you are able to write a small “howto” on using Neo?
    That would be a very huge step in the right direction.

Akira_San
    Participant

Sure, ill make a β€œhowto” using the editor. ReactOS looks interesting.
    Heres some Blend-a-Race , that can be used as a demo and this Shipyard for a space game demo.

Sponk
    Keymaster

Thank you for those links πŸ˜€

Akira_San
    Participant

Ok made the How-to, you could make some changes:
    http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=76747 – img
    http://pastebin.com/ZB2MVvmf – txt

Sponk
    Keymaster

Thank you so much!
    It is already good but I think some more screen-shots would be nice. Imagine you see the editor for the first time and do not know anything about it. You would like to see how it should look like, right?

Maybe I can make some more screen-shots for showing the different parts of the editor and insert them.
    And I will convert the text to html πŸ˜€

Thank you! That’s exactly what is needed now!

PS: Do I have permission to use that text on this website? Maybe as a “Creative Commons By” work or similar?

Akira_San
    Participant

Its free txt. Ill do the screenshots and some video. Ive managed to crash the editor in the ortho mode, but cant reproduce it. Some things about the ortho mode: When you are in the ortho view(Top for example) should be locked and you should be only able to pan and zoom not rotate, for a better workflow.
    The spot shadow angle doesnt seams to change when you rotate the spot lamp. Is that natural? Menu – Add – light, should it be called light or lamp?
    Two more blend files as a game demo – fps:
    Low Poly ADON’S Battle Arena [BGE]
    Sakura’s Stage

Akira_San
    Participant

Ok, made two images: img1 – when you start the editor.
    http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=76786
    img 2 – when you drag and drop the meshes into the editor.
    http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=76787

Sponk
    Keymaster

Thank you very much! I will upload it to tomorrow.

The class for a light source is call “MOLight” so I think the right term is not lamp but light. But that’s irrelevant. Everyone knows what you mean by lamp. That’s now problem πŸ˜€

The ortho view is quite experimental. I don’t really know how to do it right.

Akira_San
    Participant

“The ortho view is quite experimental. I don’t really know how to do it right.”
    From a programming perspective or user interaction?

Sponk
    Keymaster

From a user interaction perspective. I don’t know how it should behave to be useful. Axis locking might be an idea to start with.

Akira_San
    Participant

As a user and artist thats using 3d software will say: change the check box ortho to a list(Perspective / Ortho). Change “Other” from the list to “Perspective” or “user Perspective” or “user view” something like that from a user point of view.

When in perspective = list(other) You could do your free actions(rotate, pan, zoom) and when you go to top or etc, also free action, but a user will use more pan and zoom.

Ortho mode = other, should allow for rotate, pan, zoom in ortho mode, but when you go to (top, right views, etc…) you should lock them and only allow for pan and zoom, focus on selection.
    That should bring better user interaction.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.