Home Forums Development discussions Future development

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Sponk
    Keymaster

Thanks, I will see how to put it together.

sadwolf
    Participant

It would be usefull for the users (like me XD) “File > Recent Project > project-list-where-i-can-find-my-last-project”

Sponk
    Keymaster

Hi sadwolf!
    Yes, this feature is on the roadmap and even has an GitHub issue: https://github.com/Sponk/NeoEditor/issues/65

I think we should introduce bigger features first so they can be tested longer. That means that such smaller things are more likely to be done somewhat later before approaching 1.0 since those features can be done and tested in a few hours while big chunks like an in-game GUI or networking need much more attention.

I will of course include any patches about such smaller features that are sent to me. It’s just that I have priorities on what to work in my time.

PS: Finally! More than one participant in here πŸ˜€

Sponk
    Keymaster

Akira_San: I finally got to upload your little tutorial. There were some spelling and grammar mistakes that I corrected. And I added some minor information at some points. I hope that’s ok with you πŸ˜€

You can find it here: http://www.neo-engine.de/wordpress/?wpwtds_article=basic-editor-tutorial
    I still need to include the screen shots though.

Akira_San
    Participant

Yeah, its ok. English is not my first language, and i didnt paid much attention at school πŸ™‚

sadwolf, drag and drop the project file into the editor.

Sponk
    Keymaster

Yeah, drag’n’drop works pretty well now. You should definitely use it πŸ™‚

Akira_San
    Participant

Some editor questions:
    I have 2 cameras moved to different positions, how to set a camera to be the active one, when switching between them? What is camera clear color? How does the fog works?

The Group need to have some mesh represent on the view, now its invisible until selected. When deleting a group that have objects inside, it only deletes the group. Some message should show up telling you that youll also delete the grouped meshes as an option. Multiselect in the hierarchy panel would be nice to have for DnD parenting.
    Ill upload later the howto files and make some vid. the last time Bandicam didnt like DnD objects in the editor. πŸ™‚

Sponk
    Keymaster

The editor currently saves the very first camera you create as the main camera just like the Maratis editor does. You’re right, there should be an option for that.

The camera clear color is the color which will be used when the screen gets cleared every frame. Think of it as the background color behind all objects. That’s of course only visible if you don’t have a skybox πŸ˜€

Fog works exactly like in Maratis. You enable it and set a distance. And I see I forgot the color chooser to set the right color! Seems like I get a busy day today πŸ˜€

I don’t think that a group should have any visual representation since it is only a construct of thought with no physical effect on the scene. The only thing that I could imagine is a border around all objects it contains when selecting it (like a bounding box) but no object like for cameras or lights.

I was already working on multi-select in the tree view. One of the problems I got was the synchronization with the right panel. I will see how to fix such issues and upload the changes for you to test πŸ˜€

A tutorial video would be awesome! I’m looking forward to it!
    Btw: Did you notice the new share buttons on each page? Just saying :p

Akira_San
    Participant

Thx for the explanation. Ok the group, its fine. πŸ™‚ One think, thats missing is the add “empty”. I didnt know, that multiselect is for 0.4, but its fine. πŸ™‚ The tut will be just the HowTo, but no sound.
    Yeah, i noticed them, but really use them.
    I was thinking about a demo example game: Hit the Boxes with the ball, im gonna make one. Its a simple one where you throw the ball at the boxes and they fall on the ground or get destroyed. πŸ™‚

Akira_San
    Participant

Well i cant edit my post to fix my mistake. When starting the editor the cpu is on like 30-40%. No files opened. And looks like the bandicam is at fault, thats strange! Time for take two.
    An engine question: What is the level of polygons/triangles, that Maratis can have(render) on the screen?

Akira_San
    Participant
    Sponk
    Keymaster

Nice video! Well done!

Your problems with Bandicam are probably about the OpenGL rendering. I don’t know how well 3D applications are supported. Well, it must have worked or else we wouldn’t see this video πŸ˜‰

There isn’t really a limit for polygons. The engine is pretty good at throwing polygons to the graphics hardware. The bigger problem is lighting and texture bandwidth i.e. the shading of the polygons. That is very dependent on the hardware used. On some hardware you can have 3 lights with shadows at 1024*1024 resolution without lag. Some hardware barely handles one light with shadows at 512*512. Here you can optimize by using smaller resolutions for example. I noticed that lights without shadows are practically free (at least on my hardware). Could be different on other hardware though.

Another factor are state changes. That means if you render one object with many different materials instead of packing everything into one image. Some people say it’s about draw-calls. That was right for Windows <= WinXP since all graphics stuff was in the kernel mode and any draw call brought a context switch. You don't have that anymore. Today it's only about state-changes. State-changes are cached and executed when a draw-call occurs. That means that a draw-call is only expensive if you did major state changes like binding another texture etc. You can optimize that by using less materials in your objects for example by using an atlas-texture. Another way of optimizing your graphics are LODs (Level of Detail). This allows you to display a different mesh for each distance of the camera to the object. You can display much lower polygon meshes without loosing visual fidelity this way since far away objects are not as visible anyways. That could be done using a C++ behavior in Neo.

Akira_San
    Participant

Thx.
    I had to first start NeoEditor and later Bandicam and that worked. Thx for the interesting info. Yeah, texture atlas will be a big feature. Sure, Lod is good for a fps-tps like games, its a nice feature along with batching. πŸ™‚ While working on a demo game ive run into some issues, dont know if you fixed them, gonna post into the other thread.

Sponk
    Keymaster

You can start using atlas textures right now. They don’t need any special support in the engine πŸ˜€

Post about any problem you encounter. Only then it can be fixed πŸ˜€

Akira_San
    Participant

“You can start using atlas textures right now. They don’t need any special support in the engine”
    What do you mean? I know, that you could bake in blender, but later how to set the texture? In blender, their is a mode “multiply”, where you set the baked AO/shadow map to get the effect, but as for Maratis i dont know how to do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.