Home Forums Development discussions Future development

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Akira_San
    Participant

In my case. I selected the meshes moved them, then wanted to select the second mesh and move it separately, yeah tricky logic.
    Question 1, does the engine care if you scale a mesh in the editor, meaning, does it lower the fps(etc, having an impact on the raster or the scene graph) if all meshes are not scaled to 1 dimension?
    Question 2: When i duplicate a mesh, does it become an instance? in my opinion, when you make an instance you should not be able to scale it, because if you rescale the duplicate its no longer an instance, but a different mesh. And that means + 1 more drawcall.
    Question3: How does the animation loops works in the exporter? By default its set to -1, how should i set it for different actions? It would be nice for the engine to support the blender actions.
    Global settings = my char armature animation. 🙂 I mean my character is moving all the time editor, so a settings to turn it off is needed here. I agree with what you say about the setting.
    Yeah, ive been looking at the commits. 🙂

Sponk
    Keymaster

Scaling does not effect performance at all. Everything is saved in a 4×4 matrix which is used to transform every vertex. That makes every instance of a mesh to an instance since the vertex data is the same and only the matrix has different values.

In your logic every object with a different rotation and position would need to be different instances since all this data is saved in the matrix as well.

Currently every object on the screen has at least one draw call, multiple if you use multiple materials.

Btw: Instancing allows you to give a list of matrices as uniforms to the objects. So no problems there 😀

I see your problems with animations. There is a need for better UI integration. For now you should set all animations in your Lua script. I hope to introduce some sort of time line for those things. Still needs some thought though.

I hope for some third party contributions since maintaining the engine and the editor are very time consuming. The UI system will be completed (to the extend I planned) by next week I think. After that I will look into smaller issues and feature requests.

Akira_San
    Participant

I see, thx for the info. The editor seams to use the cpu even if no game is started, is that natural?(i think i asked this question before, strange!) Does the scale of the mesh matter, when it comes to physics and for the engine as a whole? I mean do i have to scale everything to be 1:1 with the real world? Hope too, some more contributors show up and add some new features. 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Akira_San.
    Sponk
    Keymaster

The editor has an update loop running and renders the 3D view every frame, looks for changed files etc. if the window is active. It however should slow down if the window is minimized or in the background.

I for myself notice only a usage of one to four percent if active so I think it should not be a problem.

The scale of a mesh currently only applies if you do not use the mesh collision shape. For that you need to scale your object to be 1:1 the size you want it to be in Blender. All other shapes should work though.

Akira_San
    Participant

The cpu in here is like 14%, but changes all the time, so i guess its natural, ok. Im gonna scale my chars to 0.5% from 1m. That should be fine i think. My game assets are from here -> novus-terra

Akira_San
    Participant

Daily development builds(Neo-0.4.0-win32.zip), when start it the cpu is 25%. Its possible a memory leak. Also the Handles are now cool 🙂 but they flash(click 2 times on a mesh, they appear and disappear). The profiler dont show up when clicked on it. Info OS Win7 64bit.

Sponk
    Keymaster

Sorry that I was not able to upload new code for some time now.
    I am working on refactoring NeoCommon to allow for other scripting languages besides Lua. That takes time and currently does not run correctly. I did not upload any new code to git because of that.

I have about 10 commits still on my hd containing all major changes done. I think it will be ready for upload by some time next week.

Akira_San
    Participant

No worries, you need to take some time off, from all the hard work you are doing. 🙂 Are you planning of adding a second scripting lang? Btw, Unity released its new ui source code -> http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new

Sponk
    Keymaster

Yes, on the long view there should be at least one other language. Lua is nice and simple but there are people out there who prefer python or JS or whatever. The scripting API should not depend on one specific language but be an abstraction layer to ensure consistent behavior on all platforms with all languages. It allows us to reuse the code written for Lua in other languages.

I fixed a load of possible bugs and crashes btw. so that is another improvement 😀

Thanks, I already saw the sources. It’s quite interesting to see how they organize their GUI.
    Maybe there are some ideas to borrow :p

PS: I fixed all major issues yesterday. Maybe I will be able to release a new daily build this weekend. There are still some minor issues but nothing that I couldn’t fix 😀

Akira_San
    Participant

Great! I was for javascript, but its probably slow and so i was thinking, that after the script is done, the engine should auto convert it into a c++.

Sponk
    Keymaster

The problem with script conversion is that the language -> C++ compiler would be very complex to do.
    It could be done if there was an existing solution for that. I don’t know if that exists.

Akira_San
    Participant

Right, so it was just my thoughts. The Luajit do the trick. 🙂
    Can NeoEditor 0.4 be compiled with Ms VS 2013, cos i get an error?

Sponk
    Keymaster

Yes, there is a problem with that. Isaw the compile log you posted on GitHub and it looks like the compiler does not like RakNet and the new C++ namespace structure.

I do not have access to Windows right now but I will get an install disk for use in a VM next weekend. I will see what broke exactly.

Thank you for reporting!

Akira_San
    Participant

Ok, and i was installing and unninstalling different versions of the visual studio. 🙂

Sponk
    Keymaster

Please consider using MingW for compilation since that’s currently the only compiler I can support.
    I don’t have regular access to VS or the MS compiler so I can not promise that it will work at all time.

I will still look into this issues though. I hope to get a Windows installation today.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.