Home Forums Development discussions Level file format for 2D scenes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sponk
    Keymaster

Hey all!

If you tried to create a 2D scene with the current Neo dev version you might have noticed that it does not have any integration into the editor, i.e. all levels and graphics have to be loaded manually in the Lua script. This approach is similar to what Löve2D is doing for example and allows the developer to decide which 2D editor he likes to use (Tiled for example).

The disadvantage is that this way another 3rd party application is needed.

The proposal is: Creating a XML based file format for 2D scenes including support for GUI elements, sprites, sprite sheets and sprite sheet based animation. This would make it possible to create editor support for building and editing 2D scenes inside the Neo Editor.

What are your opinions on this topic?

Mury
    Participant

Good point.This is exactly what i`ve been thinking! Maybe we should start adding Tiled support first?

Mury
    Participant

Sorry.What I meant was.I think is way easier to make maps into Tiled and export them into Neo but this way as you said we use apps what are not created by us.Which is not a good thing,I think.So maybe a basic paint tool(for tiles)should be made?In this case I can try making this but I need a short tutorial/explication on how the engine works.
    Also I strongly suggest a TODO list with all the features that needs to be added in Neo both for 2D and 3D.

Sponk
    Keymaster

Well, the first place you can look at for things to do is the GitHub issue management:

https://github.com/Sponk/NeoEditor/issues

There are not all things listed that I want to be done to 1.0 yet but a fairly good overview of what to do for 0.5.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.