Home Forums Development discussions Editor UI changes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sponk
    Keymaster

Hey all!

The current Neo Editor is quite minimalistic in its UI and has a lot of menu driven interactions. One idea I had is to improve this by

– creating a context sensitive toolbar above the 3D view
    – adding a tab to the left panel that shows you a view of your project directory

This way it would be much easier to add new features to the UI and finding assets would become much easier and more integrated into the workflow.

Another feature to think about is resizable sidepanels, i.e. allowing the 3D view to shrink and the panels to grow as the user wishes. That allows a more dynamic working environment.

What do you think about it?

cherub84
    Participant

This UI changes are exactly what the neo-editor needs!

Did I understand it right that you plan to implement some kind of content browser? With this it would be very easy to organize, because you could just drag all the meshs and prefabs directly into the 3D view. Small thumbnails at meshs and prefabs would additionally increase the clarity, but this is probably not so easy to implement.

I’m looking forward to it! 🙂

Akira_San
    Participant

I like those ideas. Even being able to rearrange the view layout.

Mury
    Participant

Good ideas.Looking forward!

Sponk
    Keymaster

One problem I encountered while designing an extensible toolbar is the problem of scripted plugins.

Should plugins have access to the toolbar contents? If yes, when and how?

A change could be triggered by selecting another type of object in the 3D view or for objects with certain properties.

Another problem is space management. I need to ensure that every plugin has enough space to place its content without compromising built-in functionality.

Akira_San
    Participant

Really nice questions, but hard to answer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.